Top 5 Best Shampoo for Natural Grey Hair in 2019: Some celebrities like Kylie Jenner, “Girls” star Zosia Mamet and Hilary Duff have decided to actually color their locks grey. Even trendsetter Rihanna rocked a grey-streaked ponytail in 2014. Whatever your reasons for grey hair, finding the best shampoo for grey hair can enhance your silvery mane and strengthen your hair at the same time.
Grey hair develops when pigment cells in the hair slow down or stop producing melanin, the body’s natural hair coloring agent. By the time you hit 30, you may notice a few grey hairs and by the time most people reach 50 half of the hair on your head will be grey. Although scientists don’t know exactly why pigment cells stop producing melanin, they do know genetics play a part.
Need a Special Grey Hair Shampoo:
When hair becomes grey and loses its own color, it can pick up pigments from the environment, chlorine, and chemicals in hair products resulting in unwanted tints. This often manifests in a yellow or brassy tint to the hair. If the hair is only partially grey, many shampoos take care of natural color while adding shine to grey areas and banishing that yellowish tinge.
Also, as hair goes grey, the hair cuticles get thinner and finer, exposing them to a larger volume of pollutants than normal colored hair. This can cause the hair to look greasy, limp and dull. You may not be spending money on coloring agents, but you should still spend money on shampoo and conditioners that promote healthy hair growth.
Top 5 Best Shampoo for Natural Grey Hair In 2019
After looking at many of the best selling shampoos for grey hair we have chosen five shampoos which can help boost the shine of your grey locks and protect the health of your hair for many years to come.
1. Clairol Professional Shimmer Lights Shampoo
- Quality product from one of the big names in the hair and beauty sector. Thousands of grannies can’t be wrong!
- Very effective at removing dull yellow from grey hair.
- Leaves hair shiny without any residue.
- Offers excellent value for money for a product that works.
If used less frequently, only once a week, for example, you can avoid that blue rinse effect associated with retirement homes. This shampoo is very effective when it comes to getting rid of any yellow tinges or brassiness of grey hair and can be used on natural or color-treated hair. The protein-enriched formula helps to renew and refresh faded highlights and ash-tones in hair. Plus it’s available at a bargain price, cheaper than many other products of the same quality.
2. Classic Gray Shampoo By American Crew
- Hydrolyzed milk protein boosts hydration of hair.
- Ideal for gray hair that is also dry.
- No need for further conditioner.
- Canada Balsam conditions and protects the hair.
- Effectively gets rid of yellow tones.
- Very reasonable price.
Made with hydrolyzed milk protein, this shampoo is designed to brighten up those silver tones while adding life to the hair. The milk protein helps boost hydration and added Balsam Canada acts as a natural resin to lock in moisture and prevent the hair from drying out. The natural resin also conditions and strengthens the hair without the need for further conditioner.
This shampoo can get rid of those brassy and yellow tones from grey hair, protecting the color and making it brighter. It prevents the color from fading and keep tones looking natural and shiny. The American Crew Gray Shampoo is ideal for silver hair that is dry and leaves the hair soft, hydrated and better moisturized.
3. Phyto Phytargent Shampoo for Grey & White Hair 200ml
- Gives grey hair a glossy shine.
- Neutralizes oxidative stress and banishes that yellow/brassy tint often associated with grey hair.
- Leaves hair soft and manageable.
- Natural ingredients are gentle on sensitive hair and heads.
This natural formula works well for sensitive hair and helps keep it nourished. The shine this shampoo gives to grey hair, along with the extra body and bounce it imparts, make this natural formula well worth the slightly higher price. The simple minimal packaging makes it very easy to squeeze into your suitcase if traveling.
The Phyto Phytargent is yet another blue/purple shampoo which shouldn’t be used more than once or twice a week to avoid giving the hair a blue tint. Although easy to use, make sure you rinse your hair thoroughly to get rid of the shampoo and always follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for frequency of use.
4. Klorane Shampoo with Centaury – White & Gray Hair
- Brings out the natural glow of grey and silver hair.
- Reduces yellowing of grey hairs.
- Gently cleanse both hair and scalp.
- Free from many chemical additives.
- Can be used more frequently than most other grey hair shampoos.
- Not purple
A natural centaury extract works to reduce the yellow tint and gently cleanses the hair and scalp. This extract is known to enhance subtle silver highlights, making it perfect for those with salt and pepper grey hair or those who have just started greying. This shampoo is completely free of paraben, silicone and other synthetic colorants.
Most experts would recommend conditioning daily but not shampooing every day. If you feel you must shampoo daily then Klorane Silver Highlights shampoo is definitely the one for you.
5. Miracle of Aloe, Softly Silver Shampoo
Conclusion for the Best Shampoo for Grey Hair
Having decided to embrace the grey, obviously, you want your hair to look it is natural best and have a radiant glow. Any of the five shampoos we have looked at could help rid your grey hair of that yellow tint and boost the shine of your hair.